Third Ave History Block By Block
       
 
 



ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:

When the Historical Society began working on this tour, I began searching for a 120 year old Spring Laker to talk to. Such a person could not he found, but I was able to find a number of people who knew a good deal about Spring Lake and Third Avenue. Many had been born in Spring Lake and had spent all of their lives here. Others had spent much of their lives, or many summers in Spring Lake. Fortunately, all had good memories and had been very observant while growing up.

I also found people who were interested in the history of Spring Lake, and they shared their research with the Society. If you wish to know more about Third Avenue or Spring Lake's history, these are the people to talk to:

Fran Allison, Mary Benjamin, Anne Benz, Jean Cameli, Fred Casagrande, Richard J. Clayton, Thomas G. Clayton, Patricia Colrick, Gale D'Luhy, Jean Duggan, Sue Fittin, Elizabeth Erbe Freeman, Pat Giblin, Dick Height, Lynn Height, Peggy Height, Rick Height, Marion King, Joan Kennedy, Vinnie of LaSala Cleaners, Margaret MacGowan, Walter MacGowan, Jr., Margaret Maguire, Maria Marucci, Carol Megill, Dick Napolitan, Howard Parker, Barbara Bailey Ratz, Damiano Rabbeni, Andrew Raffeto, Helen Raffetto, Mary Reilly, Betty Robinson, June Rounds, Henry S. Schwier, Jerry Tricarico, Vicky Young, Kathleen Weeks, Lissa Wickham, Bill Wingard, Marie Wingard.




THE CHANGING TIMES ON THIRD AVENUE

Originally the business district for Brighton, Third Avenue had become by the early 1900's, the center of business for the flourishing resort of Spring Lake. By that time, Spring Lake consisted of the earlier resorts of Spring Lake Beach, Brighton and North Brighton, Como, and Villa Park.

The small Brighton business district was established in 1881 between Jersey and Washington Avenues. Compared to the flourishing business district on First Avenue between Monmouth and Atlantic Avenues which served both Spring Lake Beach and Villa Park, the Brighton business district was quite small. In the early morning hours of September 19, 1900 all that changed. Shortly after midnight, a fire developed in the laundry of W. Pussey which adjoined Mrs. Urie's Essex House. Fanned by 30 mph winds, it spread quickly. Fire companies from North Spring Lake, Sea Girt, Belmar, Manasquan, West Grove and Asbury Park battled the fire, but a sheet of flames enveloped the Monmouth House. From the Monmouth House, the fire moved west destroying The Carlton House, Bamman's Grocery, Hills' Drugs, Schindel's Jewelry, Dr. Herbert's dentist office and Mr. Wooley's Dry Goods. It spread to the southern edge of the lake and reduced the Coast Company to ashes as well as LA. Hirschy's Meats, Johnson's Bicycles and Gant's Fish and Fruit Market.

The fire then moved west across First Avenue burning what remained of the Monmouth Stables which had burned a week earlier, and then rushed south wiping out the stores between Atlantic and Salem Avenues. It then crossed Salem Avenue and destroyed the Sedgwick and Callis Ice Cream Store. Flaming embers swirled through the air falling on the roof of the Allaire Hotel starting another fire. Luckily, the Allaire fire was quickly put out. Finally the fireman and local citizens were able to stop the fire, but the losses were staggering. Many of the burned out businesses decided to join the small business district located on Third Avenue. Together, the Avenue and the businesses grew and flourished.  

WALKING TOUR - Block 1:

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE FIRST BLOCK

FIRST BLOCK OF THE TOUR
(Third Avenue, Passaic to Avenue to Morris Avenue)
On the East side of this block there were: James Warner Furniture, Homer Secor's Colonial Tea Room , the Bab's Shop, Phillips Beauty Salon, Harvey Chafey Shoes, Brown and Carmen Sporting Goods, Elsie Rayne Miller Millinery, Rosenson's, Marcucci Tailors, Pedelfords Piano Store, Crisanti Shoe Repair and the Brighton Movie Theater.

Picture from the collection of Maria Marucci
J.A. OSBORN LIVERY AND BOARDING STABLES (extended from where the Spring Lake Pizzeria is today, to the corner of Passaic and Third) Built in 1876, this was one of several livery stables in Spring Lake. Most people arrived by train and needed a means of getting about once they got here. Others arrived in their own carriages and needed a place to board their horses. An early description stated: "His stables are large, well ventilated and particularly well adapted for the accommodation of boarders...About twenty head of good horses are hired to responsible parties for business or pleasure driving and experienced and careful drivers provided if desired...the carriages are newly painted and rubber tired..." Spring Lake Gazette, July 11, 1902

THE LEWIS BUILDING
(ALU Building)
Mr. Charles Lewis purchased the land the livery stable had been on, in 1920 and erected this business building a short time later. It was home to many fine stores and The Colonial Tea Room which was located where Kate & Co. is now. The Tea Room served lunch and dinner and ice cream out on the patio during the summer.

It is fondly remembered for the beautiful view of Divine Park that could be enjoyed with the meal.

JERRY'S LUNCHEONETTE
(Where the Spring Lake Pizzeria is now)
Jerry Fabry originally worked the soda fountain at Hills' Drug Store and then at Burke Brothers Drug Store. He opened his own soda fountain here. Howard Parker worked at Jerry's and then in 1973 bought the luncheonette. Howard, known as the "Big Bopper", had originally been a singer with the Max Ryan Band. Under his ownership, Jerry's provided live entertainment with lunch. Howard was also an excellent baker and was well known for his pies.

MARUCCI THE NEW YORK MERCHANT TAILOR
(1112 Third Avenue)

The Marucci Building - Picture presented to
the Borough of Spring Lake by the Marucci Family
Originally located in a small wood building in the middle of the block on the east side, the business was established by Orazio Marucci in 1900. Orazio had come to this country from Riccia, Italy. He stayed in New York for a short time before moving to Spring Lake to start the family tailoring and dry cleaning business. His son Otto Morris (he changed his last name) was actually the first in the family to come to Spring Lake. In 1882, he opened the Otto Morris Shaving Parlor near the railroad depot. He told his father that he would not go back to New York, so Orazio came to Spring Lake.
Frank, another son, took over the tailoring business at age 14 having apprenticed as a tailor at Brooks Brothers in New York City. In 1910, Frank built the Marucci Building as a new modern facility for the tailor shop. He used the northern half of the building for his shop and rented out the southern half.

Frank Marucci served as a borough councilman from 1916-1936, and as the mayor from 1936 until his death on Dec. 15, 1956. He was well thought of, and was elected for 40 consecutive years. in 1959, Marucci Memorial Park was dedicated and named in his honor.

Washington Marucci is Frank's son. He became borough clerk in 1963 and retired from that position on Jan. 1, 1979.

BRIGHTON THEATER
(corner of Morris and Third, East side)

Otto Morris built the building to include the Otto Morris Shaving Parlor and a theater. Above the theater there was a ballroom. Years after, Criso Crisanti bought the building.

This building was built by Otto Morris

CRISANTI'S SHOE REPAIR
An earlier location of this business was the northwest corner of Morris and Third Avenues. The business later moved to the southeast corner of Morris and Third. Criso Crisanti started working as a shoemaker with his father at the age of 5 in Sorano, Italy (about 150 miles north of Rome). He would get up at 5 a.m. and work several hours before going to school. During World War I, he served in the Italian Army (then fighting on the Allied side). He was captured by the Austrians in the Alps and held as a prisoner of war. In 1919 he emigrated to the United States with little money and even less English. After working as a cobbler in Cranford, Roselle Park, and Belmar, he moved to Spring Lake in 1925. In that same year, Mr. Crisanti returned to Italy and married his childhood sweetheart, Fausta. She was not able to join her husband in Spring Lake until 1927 when Mr. Crisanti was able to get the necessary papers.

Photo taken by Edmond Crisanti
All summer long, Hooks whitened shoes in front of Crisanti's for the guests staying at the hotels in town. He became a bit of a legend because of his skill in polishing two tone shoes, and so guests staying at the hotels, sent their golf shoes to Hooks and to be polished. He often had so many shoes to polish that he worked until midnight.

Because Mr. Crisanti was a perfectionist who never took shortcuts, his customers were very loyal. Some of Mr. Crisanti's customers included Jim Ameche, Gil McDougald, a former Yankee infielder, and Mayor Frank Marucci.

   

WALKING TOUR - Block 2:

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE BLOCK

SECOND BLOCK OF THE TOUR
(Third Avenue, Morris Avenue to Jersey Avenue)

East side of the block included: Burke Brothers Drug Store, O.S. Camp Liquor and Grocery, Miller's Pool Room, Bennett Sheet Metal, Casagrande's Market, Dale's Coffee Shop, H. Todd Electric, Richard John Shoemaker, R. Newman Plumbing, Capelli Grocery, Langraf Jewelry, Loretta B. Malloy Real Estate, Conover Buick Agency, Center Food Market.


BURKE BROTHERS DRUG STORE
(Main Pharmacy)

The Drug Store was operated by the Burke triplets. Walter P. Burke, a graduate of the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Chemistry, operated the pharmacy. The store was open from 8:00 am to 10:30 pm. Here prescriptions were filled, sick-room supplies could he purchased, as well as cosmetics, and beach necessities.

Apparently, it was difficult to tell the triplets apart. An accomplished runner challenged one of the Burke brothers to a long distance race from Lakewood to Asbury Park. The challenger expected to win hands down and was very surprised to see that the Burke brother had finished the race, and even more surprised by the fact that the Burke brother seemed to have handled the race so much better than the challenger had. What the challenger didn't know is that the three brothers kept changing places during the race.

The Burkes had a soda fountain in their store which served soda, ice cream and sandwiches. Customers could be served at the fountain or on the patio under the portico. The door which led to the patio can still be seen, although it is now boarded up. Jerry Fabrey operated the soda fountain and later opened his own soda fountain and lucheonette down the street, one block south.


O.S. CAMP GROCERIES
(Casagrande Liquors)

Established in 1909, it carried imported foods, "all the leading canned goods of American production", and fresh farm eggs that were brought in three times a week. They also sold liquor out of a barreL Before Prohibition, customers would come in with a jug to be filled.


DALE'S COFFEE SHOP
(Dan's Kitchen)

This was the original Dale's. It could hold about 25 people so every night people would line up outside waiting to get in. Because it was so crowded, there was a delivery service. Guests at the hotels and residents of Spring Lake would call in their orders. Dale's advertisements in the Spring Lake Gazette were rather unusual. He advertised: "Keep your wife as a pet. Eat at Dale's" and "We cheat you less than the others. Eat at Dale's".

Every night Dale ran out of food, which is the way he planned it.


CASAGRANDE'S MARKET
(Alan's Butcher Block)
Built in 1920, this beautiful art deco building served as Casagrande's Market until 1982. Casagrande's was a specialty grocery. They specialized in prime meats, fruit and vegetables that were hand picked from the farm markets by the proprietors, specialty foods, and service. Customers called the store to place an order and would ask advice on what to serve with the main courses or how to cook it.

Interior of Casagrande's Market ca. 1930
from The Spring Lake Historical Society collection
The order would then be delivered to the customer's home. Some customers would send a letter to Casagrande's telling the market when the staff would arrive at the summer home and include a list of items they wished to have stocked in the pantry for the opening of the house for the season.

At holiday time, customers could order their meat, have it cooked, and delivered. This was a popular service at Thanksgiving. The turkey was ordered, Casagrande's took it to Dale's to be cooked, and then it was delivered in time for dinner.


THE CONOVER BUICK AGENCY AND CENTER FOOD MARKET
(Southeast corner of Third Avenue and Jersey Avenue)

By the 1920s, horses and wagons became a rare sight on Third Avenue. Deliveries were being made by truck and more and more people were driving cars. The Buick Agency later became the Center Food Market.

 
Walking Tour of Third Avenue Business District
- Block 3 -
THIRD BLOCK OF THE TOUR
(Jersey Avenue to Washington Avenue)

The east side of the block included: Hills' Drug Store, Western Union, M. Coffey Hairdresser, Reed's Steam Laundry Bradley Manahan, Bennett & Height's, and A.S. Gifford Sea Food.

HILLS' DRUG STORE

Daniel Hills, a direct descendent of Revolutionary War soldier, Samuel Griswold who fought at the battles of Stony Point and Yorktown, came to Spring Like Beach in 1890. That year he opened Hills' Drug Store on the southeast corner of Atlantic and First Avenues. (Sundae Times) In 1901, he built a new drug store on Third Avenue (Who's On Third) after the disastrous fire of 1900 wiped out the First Avenue business district. For a while there were two Hills' Drugs.

Hills' Pharmacy - The summer of 1933
from the collection of Kathleen Weeks
The Third Ave. store was open year round, but the store at the end of the lake operated only in the summer. Daniel Hills had apprenticed with Charles A. Bye, a Spring Lake pharmacist and the inventor of 3 in 1 oil. He was a graduate of the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy.

"Hills' Pharmacy with its cool and inviting porch" (Spring Lake Gazette, July 11, 1902) was a popular spot during the summer with Spring Lake residents and summer guests. Here they enjoyed the ice cream soda for which Hills had become famous. The store had a soda fountain, a prescription department, choice confections, druggists sundries, and a public telephone in 1902.

In addition to being a successful businessman, Hills was also active in the government of Spring Lake. He was the tax collector for six years and in 1902 Daniel Hills became a Spring Lake councilman. He continued to serve as both a councilman and mayor until ill health forced him to resign in 1935.

In the late 1950's, Hills' was purchased by Dale's Coffee Shop. It remains a coffee shop today as Who's On Third?.


REED'S STEAM LAUNDRY
(LaSala Dry Cleaners)

This was an old business established near the end of the 19th century. It was a two-story wood frame building which is what all the businesses were at that time. The driveway to the south of the building today, was originally the coal lot. There was a 100 horse power coal fed boiler used to clean the laundry. There had to be an engineer in attendance 24 hours a day to keep the boiler fed and regulated. Before bleach, whites had to be boiled to keep them white. The laundry for the hotels and the Bath and Tennis Club was done here as well as the laundry for some of the hotels in Avon, and private residences in the area. Two types of laundry were done here, wet wash and flat wash. Wet wash involved washing the laundry, spinning it dry, and delivering it damp in laundry bags to private homes in town where it would be ironed by the household staff or the lady of the house. Flat wash was washed, spun dry, and ironed before delivery.

Horses were kept to pull the delivery wagons. In the back the old red barn and the white building are part of the original laundry. The horses were stabled here and the boilers and heavy equipment were back there. There is still an old wood washing machine and an extractor (used to spin the clothes dry) in the barn.
Before the household washing machine, laundries were very busy places. During the summer months, when business was at its peak, women could be seen in the front window folding the laundry in time to the spirituals they sang as they worked.
 
Walking Tour of Third Avenue Business District
- Block 4 -
FOURTH BLOCK OF THE TOUR
BRADLEY MANAHAN
(Spring Lake Florist - A Victorian Garden #1308 Third Avenue)
Originally located on Jersey Avenue between Third and Fourth Avenue, Mr. Manahan sold the produce from his thirty acre farm in New Bedford. He sold a large variety of fruits and vegetables. What he could not grow himself, he purchased from the markets. He kept three teams of horses to deliver all over Spring Lake.

From The Spring Lake Historical Society Collection
He later moved his business to Third Avenue and replaced his horses with trucks. During good weather, baskets of fruits and vegetables lined the sidewalk in front of his store. These outdoor displays were very attractive to customers but also to a dalmation who lived down the street and belonged to a competitor. Micky thought Manahan's lettuces were irresistible and so he stole one every morning and brought it home to eat.

BENNETT & HEIGHT MEAT MARKET
(Bank of New York)
One of the early businesses on Third Avenue, Bennett and Height served the people and hotels of Spring Lake from the early 1890's until the late 1960's. Before the days of refrigerated cases, Bennett and Height erected a large cold storage plant in Manasquan in which to keep their meat. In the back section of this building was A. Stulz Giford and Sons Seafood. The Butcher Block was here after Bennett & Height's, followed by a number of banks.

Bennett & Height
From the collection of Peggy Height

POST OFFICE ROW
(Northeast corner of Washington and Third)

This business complex was built in 1959. The Bottle Shop was the first business to be established here. Prior to the business complex, this was an open grassy area. Every year about a week before the fourth of July, Carrie Brown of Brown's Stationery set up a tent and sold fireworks here.


VORHEES BAKERY
(MacGowan Real Estate Agency)

Picture of Voorhees Bakery from
the collection of The Spring Lake Historical Society
Established in 1880, the bakery moved to Third Avenue in 1888. In the early days, there were two deliveries. Because the local general stores and the area households depended on the Voorhees deliveries, they were made no matter what the weather. It was not uncommon during the winter to see the deliveries being made by horseback with the bread packed into saddlebags.
The brick building was the bakery store. The ovens were in a separate building adjacent to the store. (gray building which looks like a barn to the west) Late at night between 10:00 and 11:00, young people used to go down to Voorhees and buy hot cinnamon buns as they came out of the ovens.

Specials were often posted in the windows, but it was the Easter advertisements which received the most comment. Every year a sign announcing "Stolen" would appear in the window. All of Voorhees younger patrons would try to find out what had been stolen from Voorhees.

Young boys wishing to fish in the lake would often stop by the bakery where they would be given a lump of dough. The fish found it to be irresistible.

The MacGowan Agency, which was established in 1946, rented the northern half of the building for many years (where Pappas and Pappas is now). When Mrs. Voorhees decided to sell the bakery, the MacGowans bought the building. For several years Mr. MacGowan ran back and forth between the real estate office and the bakery, waiting on customers and selling real estate. One business was enough to run, so he moved the real estate office to where the bakery store was and rented out the other half of the building.

 
Walking Tour of Third Avenue Business District
- Block 5 -
FIFTH BLOCK OF THE TOUR
(Third Avenue Washington to Jersey)

(Looking west on Washington Ave.) Where Edmonds Real Estate is now, was once Leonard Newman Plumbing and later Dangler's Plumbing. In September, 1934, The Morro Castle caught fire off our coast. Area residents manned boats and helped to rescue victims from the storm tossed sea. Pathe' News set up cameras on the second story porch and filmed the survivors being taken to the First Aid Building for treatment. The newsreels were shown in theaters throughout the country.

On the west side of the block were an A & P, Jeffrey's Luncheonette, Brown's Luncheonette, Duggan Bakery, Getsinger's, the Acme, P. Brown Real Estate, Fay Lane, The Spring Lake Barber Shop, Hemphill's Gift Shop, William Potter's Dry Goods, Cobb's Department Store, Jahn Electric, O.H. Brown's.


HIGHLIGHTS OF THE BLOCK
A & P (Spring Lake Travel #1323 Third Avenue)

At one time, there were two A&P's in town simultaneously. This was the big A & P. It seems unusual to us today to have two A & P's, meat markets, fruit and vegetable markets, and fish markets on the same street. This was before large supermarkets. Markets tended to be small and specialized. Also, before refrigerators, people kept their food in ice boxes and so bought only enough food for the day. Summer guests brought their entire households with them and so large amounts of food had to be purchased daily.


1956 photo from the collection of
The Spring Lake Historical Society
Jigs and Eddie, who later owned the Center Food Market down a block on the east side of Third, (Lasting Impressions) worked here. A balloon man sold balloons on the corner by the A & P. There were also venders who walked up and down the street. There was an organ grinder with a monkey and a man with a parrot who told fortunes.

BROWN'S LUNCHEONETTE
(1321 Third Avenue, Sister's Cafe)
Originally a combination stationery store and soda fountain, Brown's later expanded to include a luncheonette. Brown's was very popular because of the excellent soda they made. Their cherry cokes and lime rickies were particular favorites. The book cases along the south wall of Sister's Cafe were originally part of the soda fountain and were used for storage of glasses.

WILLIAM F RANDOLPH & CO.
(#1317 Third Avenue)
Established in the late 19th century, this is another business which began in the First Avenue business district before the Monmouth fire. William Randolph sold ice cream and ices. The ice cream was made on Washington Avenue and delivered to homes and hotels all over town. At this location was the ice cream parlor. The ice cream was apparently very good, for Mr. Randolph was often seen sitting by the front door polishing off a quart of ice cream at one sitting.

William Randolph's Ice Cream Parlor
Elsie White Tootell is behind the counter ca. 1927-28
from The Spring Lake Historical Society collection

GETSINGER'S
(Spring Lake Boutique and Therese M. Carey)

This store which specialized in foreign and domestic groceries, was established in 1884. Staple and fancy groceries were offered as well as wines and imported liquors. His business was once located on Jersey Avenue but as the Third Avenue began to flourish, Mr. Getsinger purchased this property.


H. GETSINGER, Wholesale and Retail Grocer
from the collection of Marie Wingard
Herman Getsinger served as councilman for 24 years, first for North Spring Like and then for Spring Like when the boroughs were consolidated. He served the borough when it was relatively new and had to occasionally dip into his own pockets in order to fund necessary work for which there were insufficient tax revenues (Spring Lake Gazette, Dec.29, 1916).
Mr. Getsinger was also a member of the Spring Like Board of Education for 25 years. A large part of that time, he served as president of the board. Liter there was an Acme at this location.

THE SPRING LAKE BARBER SHOP
(#1309 Third Avenue)
There has always been a barber shop here. In the early part of this century, it was owned by a Mr. Castellucci who loved the opera. Customers were treated to opera music which he played all day long, with their hair cut. Mr. Castellucci's son became a painter. One of his painting hangs in the shop. Another is in the Patterson Museum. Damiano Rabbeni, a native of Sicily, bought the business in 1965.

WILLIAM H. POTTER DRY GOODS and YE TOWN SHOP

Born on July 3, 1859, William Potter began his merchandising career as a clerk in his father's store where he worked until 1878. That year, he went to work for Steinbach Brothers on Cookman Avenue in Asbury Park. in 1884, he decided to enter the dry goods business on his own and he built his store on Third Avenue in what was then known as Brighton. As was true with many of the early businessmen, he had diversified interests. In 1885 he took up the real estate and insurance business which he conducted from his store. He also served as councilman for the borough of North Spring Lake which is what Brighton was then called, and served as vice president of the First National Bank of Spring Lake. He served as mayor of Spring Lake briefly, but was unable to complete his term of office. He died unexpectedly following an operation for appendicitis. He died on May 25, 1907.

J. Frank Cobb established his dry goods and general merchandise business here in July, 1907. Like Potter, he too worked for the Steinbach Company of Asbury Park. He ran a very successful business here for many years. He sold dry goods and notions, bed and table linens, men's furnishings, shoes, boots, and stationery. When the survivors of the Morro Castle were brought to the First Aid Station on Washington Avenue, Cobb sent his clerks up with blankets taken from his shelves.
One afternoon in 1946, Fran Allison was having her hair done at the beauty parlor across the street, and she asked the hairdresser, "What did they ever do with that store?" Cobbs had been vacant for some time. The hairdresser replied, "You'd be good with that business." Miss Allison purchased the store and for the past 51 years she has been here serving 3 generations of customers. Pat Giblin, Miss Allison's niece, is the store's manager and buyer. She has been working in the store since the fifties. when she started as a high school student

If you look to the second story of the store, you can still see the original structure of William Potter's store. The porch was enclosed in 1956, to provide a display window for Ye Town Shop.


O.H. BROWN'S
(Spring Lake Variety)

The son of a tailor, Oliver Huff Brown was born on December 12, 1852 near Farmingdale. At the age of 18, he entered the employment of William Laird in a general store in New Branch (now Avon). He worked there for about two years and then went to work in the furniture store of John A. Githens of Asbury Park. He worked there for about eight years becoming the manager of the store. In 1879, he took a leave of absence from the store to visit relatives in Scotland and to visit the major cities of Europe. There, he developed a taste for finer things than he was used to on the Jersey shore. He returned to Asbury Park with lots of new ideas and with the $5,500 he was able to save up, he decided to enter business for himself. He "wanted to cater to people of refinement and culture" (Spring Lake Gazette, July 6, 1923) and so in 1882, he purchased three lots on Third Avenue. He had originally hoped to locate near the railroad station where there were already a number of stores, but the owner of the property he was considering did not want a store on the property. O.H. Brown had naturally good taste which was augmented by his frequent buying trips to Europe. His store was an immediate success, and he was soon shipping merchandise to all parts of this country.


Third Avenue looking south O.H. Brown's is on the left
In 1946, O.H. Brown's Furniture was razed. Quenzer's 5 and 10 was built in the late 1940's. It was a popular place especially with the children of Spring Lake. In the early 1950's, it became Casagrande's 5 & 10. George Bratt owned it for a short time and in January, 1971, Dick and Peggy Height bought the store. A second generation of Heights now own the business.
In 1993, Rick and Lynn Height took over the business. The Spring Lake Variety Store today, carries everything you could possibly need and even things that you forgot that you needed.

Walking Tour of Third Avenue Business District - Block 6 -
THE SIXTH BLOCK OF THE TOUR
(Jersey Avenue to Morris Avenue)

West side of the block included: Horatio Clayton Real Estate, The Royal Elephant Shop, Davidson's Hardware, Alexander's, Casagrande & Raffetto Grocery, Myron Morris Real Estate and Insurance, Clayton's Garage, Meyer Lasky Tailor, Joe Sing laundry, and Crisanti Shoe Repair.


THE ROYAL ELEPHANT SHOP
(Southern half of the Camel's Eye)

This was a favorite with the kids of Spring Lake because it was a good place to buy toys and novelties. Almost every child invited to a birthday party in the 40's bought his gift at this shop. The proprietors were Mollie and Birdie and there was a white elephant in the corner with a big yellow bow tied around its neck. Tb shop here was an adventure for young Spring Lakers because the shop was dark, a little spooky, and filled with the scent of incense. Two black cats used to sit in the windows.


MYRON MORRIS REAL ESTATE AND INSURANCE
(Fulton's Barber Shop)

Myron O. Morris was Otto Morris's son and served as borough clerk for 38 years. Because he was the borough clerk, a lot of borough business was conducted in the real estate office.


JOE SING'S LAUNDRY
(Samantha's #1205 Third Ave.)

This was a popular Chinese laundry. Joe used an abacus to figure the bill.


CLAYTON'S BOARDING AND LIVERY STABLE

Originally this was H.P. Brown's Boarding and Livery Stables. Brown's coaches met all trains and drove to Hastings Square (The Essex and Sussex). He also boarded horses. By the early 1900's it was Smith and Clayton's. Smith left the business and it became Clayton's in 1917. About thirty horses were kept at the stable for hire and there was a special section reserved for boarders. The carriages were newly painted and rubber tired and could be outfitted with experienced drivers in livery.

Smith and Clayton's had the added attraction of Dr. Charles H. Perry, a graduate of the New York Veterinary College and School of Comparative Medicine, who had his office at the stable. According to a 1902 article in the Spring Lake Gazette, he was known for his thorough knowledge of horses and could treat other domestic animals as well.

When the automobile became the popular mode of transportation, the stable became a garage. Because cars cannot be parked over night on the streets in Spring Lake, there was a need for places to store the autos that the wealthy summer guests brought with them. Hotel guests would use their cars to go out to dinner or to see a show and then turn in their keys to the main desk. The main desk would then call the garage to have the car picked up. Clayton's took care of the automobiles of the Shoreham's and Lakeview's guests. They charged $2.00 a night to store the vehicle and then returned it in the morning to the hotel. So many cars were stored in the garage that the drivers had to crawl out the windows because there wasn't enough room to open the doors.

Clayton's also provided a taxi service which would pick up guests at the train station and then deliver them to the hotels.

Three generations of Claytons have been at this location. Today the family has a limousine service. If you go into the garage, you can see the original timbers from the stable and the hay loft. Along the wall are many old tires from cars used years ago.


EVELINE'S
(Freedman's #1203 Third Avenue)

This coffee shop was a Mom and Pop store owned by Eveline and Manny. Because they didn't drive, they came to work each morning in a taxi. Most of the family was involved in the business. Their son Rick ran the counter and their grandchildren worked in the kitchen.

Manny had come to this country as a young man from South America. He went to New Orleans and found a job on a ocean liner as a pastry chef. When the Voorhees bakery closed, Eveline and Manny decided that Spring Lake needed a place to get fresh baked goods so they opened their coffee and sandwich shop. Everything was home made, the soups, the pastries and the sandwiches. They picked a perfect location for their business, right across the street from the bus stop. Early morning commuters to New York would pop in for a cup of coffee and a homemade doughnut.

Eveline's was famous for its doughnuts. Every morning at six, Manny would begin rolling out his doughnuts. Customers soon learned that if you wanted one of Manny's doughnuts, you had to get there early. Among the famous guests who savored Manny's doughnuts were: Dustin Hoffman, Julius LaRosa, Rex Reed, Joan Rivers, Telly Savalas, Suzie Linden, and New York Yankee ball players.

There was a tiny, elderly woman who came in nearly every day. She always ordered the same thing; pea soup and a doughnut, and she always sat in the same seat. One day she came in to find her seat occupied by another. She went to the hack of the shop where she fumed and scowled. Finally, she decided that it was too much to bear, so she walked up to "her seat" and asked the man to kindly get out of it. The man politely moved across the aisle. The polite gentleman was Dustin Hoffman.


MORRIS AVENUE
(West of Third)

Morris was widened and paved in 1925 to double as a parking area for the business district.

On the south side of the street there was Heights Garage, Conover Ford and Buick Dealership, and Dangler Plumbing. On the north side there was King's Bicycle Shop, an ice cream store, a candy store, the post office, Erickson Awnings, Harry Trainor Upholstery. The double brick house was for the chaffeur and caretaker of Ballingarry.


THE CENTENNIAL CLOCK

This clock was erected to commemorate the 100th birthday of Spring Lake in 1992. Beneath the plaque, there is a time capsule which contains, memorabilia of 1992 Spring Lake, a video of the town, and pictures drawn by the town's school children. The capsule will be opened in the year 2042.

 
Walking Tour of Third Avenue Business District
- Block 7 -
LAST BLOCK OF THE TOUR
(Morris Avenue to Passaic Avenue)

The west side of this block included: The First National Bank, Patterson Real Estate and Insurance, the Post Office, O.H. Brown Real Estate, and H.H. Moore Real Estate and Insurance.


FIRST NATIONAL BANK

The bank was organized in March 18, 1901 with a capital of $25,000 and a paid-in surplus of $12,500. It had all the modern facilities of the time including a manganese steel safe in a fire and burglar proof vault. "The Spring Lake bank is in the hands of men of unquestioned integrity and financial ability and the directory includes the names of some of our most solid and substantial citizens. O.H. Brown is president, W.H. Potter, vice-president, and Fred F. Schock, cashier. These with E.V. Patterson and Frank Durand compose the board of directors." Spring Lake Gazette, July 11, 1902 (Three of these gentlemen served as early mayors of Spring Lake).

The second floor of this building has always been used for office space. For a while the telephone company was here. Many local right-handed young women worked there. The telephone company would not hire left-handers because all the equipment was set up for use with the right hand.


E.V. PATTERSON REAL ESTATE AND INSURANCE
(John W. Clapp Associates)

Mr. Patterson came to Spring Lake to serve as the train master of the Spring Lake Beach railroad station. In 1892, when Spring Lake Beach and North Spring Lake merged, he was elected the first mayor of the new borough of Spring Lake.

Like most early businessmen, Edward V. Patterson had diversified interests. He had an express service which picked up the luggage and household staff of the summer residents which he delivered to the cottages or hotels. He also sold real estate and insurance.

Mr. Patterson's oldest son Arden had the haberdashery next door.


First National Bank and E.V. Patterson Building

POST OFFICE
After the 1900 fire, the post office moved to Third Ave. For a short time it was in the new National Bank building and then took up quarters where Veronica's is now. The post office then moved to Morris Avenue to where the Hobby Shop is now and then up to 1410 Third Avenue. In December of 1996, it moved to Spring Lake Heights.

Boy Scout Campout, Third & Washington Avenues,
site of Post Office, Spring Lake Historical Society collection,
Braly Studio photo, donor Bob Todd

CHANGING TIMES:

Everything changes. Third Avenue is no exception. When it was laid out and graded, it was a dirt street on which horses trotted and carriages rolled. Eventually the automobile replaced the horse, and in 1920, the avenue was paved. Livery stables became garages. Automobile dealerships, and auto repair shops appeared. Gas pumps sprang up along the avenue.

For nearly the first half of this century, Third Avenue was a clearly defined line dividing two Spring Lakes. There was the Spring Lake east of Third Avenue and the Spring Lake west of Third Avenue. During the summer, the town east of Third Avenue glittered and bustled with the activities of the summer visitors. During the winter months, east of Third was dark and empty. All the homes and hotels were boarded up for the season. West of Third Avenue, lived the year round residents; the people who operated the business which supported the resort community. Third Avenue itself changed with the seasons. Winter saw many of the stores close for there was not a population large enough to support them. The people and the Avenue had to adjust to the seasons. As Dr. Robert Patterson put it: "It was three months scurry and nine months worry".

After the Second World War, more people made Spring Lake their permanent home. Today, most Spring Lakers are year round residents and Third Avenue's businesses stay open all year.

Sources:

Boyd, William H. Jersey Coast Directory, 1886-7.

Colrick, Patricia, coordinator, "Guide to Businesses on Spring Lake's Third Avenue/Property Owners", Spring Lake Design Assistance Committee, 1995.

Colrick, Patricia, research notes pertaining to Third Avenue.

Haulenbeek, Jane, "Miss Allison. 50th anniversary", video, Spring Lake Historical Society, 1996.

The Jersey Coast, George W. Richardson, New York.

"Jersey Pioneer", Asbury Park Sunday Press, Nov. 14, 1971.

Spring Lake Gazette

St. Andrews Church Cookbook, reprint of 1903 edition.

Sucato, Kristy J., "Ye Towne Shop Fits Out Three Generations", The Coast Star, May 30, 1996.

Thermann, Walter, and Bob Todd, Jerry Tricarico, Stan Truax, Bill Wingard, Marie Wingard, "Reminences of Old Spring Lake", video, Spring Lake Historical Society, March 28, 1993.

Wingard, Marie, "Mr. Crisanti at the Shoe Shop" video, Spring Lake Historical Society, July 25,1988. Wrege, Charles D., Spring Lake, An Early History, The Bicentennial History Committee, 1976.


Greater Spring Lake Chamber Of Commerce
313 Washington Ave
Spring Lake, NJ 07762

Phone: (732)-449-0577
Email:
info@springlake.org
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter |
YouTube


 
 
© 2017 Greater Spring Lake Chamber of Commerce
Website designed & maintained locally by: EMB People
 
  Member Listings
Where to Eat
Where to Shop
Where to Stay
Professional Services
About The Chamber
Upcoming Events
Beach Info
Town Map
Visitor Guide
Our Community
Town Blog
Municipal
Schools
Organizations
Churches
Live Here
Shop Local
Photo Gallery
Divine Park
Downtown History
Spring Lake TV
Directions

Contact
Seward Johnson
Christmas in Spring Lake


Citizen of the Year
Italian Festival
Irish Festival